Merle Hinkle College Scholarship
Criteria & Requirements
Kelly Community Federal Credit Union awards scholarships annually to students attending an accredited two-year or four-year college or university, or technical school selected from applicants within our field of membership who meet the following eligibility requirements.
Criteria and Requirements
Must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Applicant must be an enrolled student who has completed 24 credit hours at an accredited college/university or technical school.
- Applicant must be a member* in good standing of Kelly Community Federal Credit Union (KCFCU), and/or be related to an immediate family member in good standing at KCFCU. (Immediate family is defined as: spouse, father/mother, father-in-law/mother-in-law, sister/brother, sister-in-law/brother-in-law, son/daughter, stepparent, stepsiblings, stepchildren, grandparent/spouse’s grandparent.) A minimum of 180 calendar days of KCFCU membership is required prior to date of application.
- College student applicants must be currently enrolled in an accredited 2-year or 4-year community college, technical school, college, or university. A certified copy of the applicant’s college transcripts from the school’s registrar’s office is required along with current semester’s class schedule showing proof of full-time status as an enrolled student.
- Applicant will be judged based on, but not limited to, the following criteria:
- Academic Achievement
- Community Involvement
- Letters of Recommendation
- Upon evidence of the chosen scholarship recipient(’s/s’) enrollment and/or acceptance into an accredited college, university, technical school, or community college for the Fall 2023 semester, the scholarship funds will be paid by Kelly Community Federal Credit Union directly to the school where the student is enrolled to attend.
- Scholarship funds awarded must be applied toward tuition and other customary fees and/or charges associated with registration for classes at an accredited college, university, technical school, or community college for the Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters. (Please Note: If the school the scholarship recipient is attending provides all funds necessary to attend [i.e. one of the U.S. military academies] the recipient is not eligible to apply for, or receive, funds from the Kelly Community Merle Hinkle Scholarship.)
- Selection of scholarship award recipients will be determined by a judging committee made up of the Chairman of the Board of Directors, one other Board Member, and the CEO of the Credit Union.
- The application must be typed.
- The applicant’s essay must be typed, double-spaced, and a word count of 500-1,000 words.
- Deadline for receiving the completed application is Friday, March 24, 2023, 11:59 PM CST.
- Scholarship winners agree to allow Kelly Community Federal Credit Union the right to publish or display their name, photo, school name, city of residence, and their essay for public relations purposes.
*KCFCU employees, officials, and their immediate family members are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Attach three written recommendations. Recommendations cannot be from a family member and at least one must be from a teacher/instructor.
Attach an official copy of your transcripts:
- College Students: A copy of your official transcript from your school’s registrar’s office is required.
The Kelly Community Merle Hinkle Scholarship was created to honor Mr. Hinkle’s legacy of volunteerism to deserving organizations and the community. Attach an essay explaining your volunteering experiences over the past two years, and what impact or influence your volunteering experiences have had on your life and future plans. Please detail the outcomes of your volunteer experiences and what they have meant to you. (Essays must be 500-1,000 words; typed, double-spaced)
Completed Application, Recommendations, Transcripts, and Essay must be completed at www.kellycommunity.org
All information must be included in the submission package and date stamped by our system by Friday, March 24, 2023.
Scholarship Submission Checklist
Please make sure the following have been included in your submission package:
- Completed online application
- Typed essay (1,000 words maximum)
- Three recommendation letters
- Official transcripts